Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Reader Mail

I got my first bit of reader mail today, and here it is with my response, reprinted with permission.

Dear Doctor,

I thought I'd write you because you seem to enjoy writing, with the blog and all, and you seem open to new people. I've never been very good at having deep connections with people. My friendships are pretty superficial and every time I try to open myself up it seems to go awkwardly. I don't know if that's the type of people I'm doing it with or what. But long life story short, this inability to make close, intimate friends (or even get to know new people quickly) has contributed to a lot of my anxiety with women and social situations, hence my interest in Mark Manson's writing. 

I'm a Canadian, but I'm leaving for grad school in Germany in 3 weeks. I don't know anyone there, speak a little German, and my major anxiety about the whole thing is meeting people. I'm terrified that I won't be able to make good friends. I just stumble at getting to know them and I'm not sure how to get better at this. You mentioned in your blog post today that your skill of forming intimate, lasting friendships is notable. I want to be able to develop this skill. Do you have any wisdom to impart? Is it just being intensely interested in other people? Is it trying to make yourself as interesting as possible (Definitely don't feel comfortable with this one)? I'm stuck here and I don't really have any role models in my life that make friends so effortlessly. Your blog post really interested me and I guess inspired this email. So if you feel like writing to me about it, I'd appreciate it. Hope the weather's nice wherever you are.

D



I think that, in regards, to your problem, you're already on the right track by stepping out of your comfort zone and going to graduate school in germany.  I think the real key is exactly that: your comfort zone.  Don't tell yourself, as many do, that you are unable to make friends - it merely is a matter of expanding your comfort zone so that you feel comfortable interacting and making these sorts of intimate connections with people.  In that sense, the ability to make friends is something that can be cultivated - like working out a muscle, we can practice at it.

Here are a couple tips I have

1) Put yourself in situations where you're interacting with new people constantly.  This means not only hanging out with your graduate student friends, but also seeking out new opportunities in the new place you are in.  The internet, meet up groups, and the like can be useful for this.  This can be intimidating - I understand.  But doing this is half the battle.

2) Accept that you wont make friends with everyone and that every relationship you have will take on a different property and form.  Not only that, people will not always get along with you and you will not always get along with them.  Making a lasting friend is a combination of shared interests and ease in communication, as well as building a history together.  This makes a true intimate friendship, while not a rarity, something that must be built on.

3) The key, though, to building a truly transcendent relationship with someone is letting yourself be vulnerable with them.  This goes hand in hand with no. 2 - that you can't make friends with everyone.  Some people will find your true being - your imperfections, your flaws, the ugliness, the messiness, and the beauty that all entails - and not be interested.  But if you want to build a true bond with a friend, this is a requirement.  My best friends have seen me at my worst, and they have seen me at my best.  My roommate is one of my best friends, and he has seen me break down and cry, as I have him.  It brought us closer together, and I can safely say that it builds something authentic and real.

I hope that these tips help.  Remember that being social and building friendships takes work and practice.  You are already on the right path by putting yourself out there.  Strive for transcendence, accentuate the positive, and I have confidence that it will work out.  

Best of luck,

The Doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment